1920: Banca Commerciale Italiana France (later Banque Sudameris France) branches opened in Monaco and Monte Carlo.
1976: Compagnie Monégasque de Banque, in which BCI held a stake, founded.
Banca Commerciale Italiana (BCI) began operating in the Principality of Monaco in the 1920s, working through the Monaco and Monte Carlo branches of its affiliate Comitfrance.
In 1976, in partnership with Banca della Svizzera Italiana and Lehman Brothers, BCI embarked on a project to create a new international investment bank, Compagnie Monégasque de Banque (CMB), with headquarters in Monte Carlo. The decision to do so was based on the intention of the bank's top management to foster the development of new financial divisions and products - in particular, private banking - that were difficult to provide in Italy due to state regulations and unfavorable market conditions at the time.
CMB enabled its shareholders, including BCI, to cultivate new skills and work practices, develop innovative products and methods, and measure itself against its international competitors.
In the 1990s BCI worked in the Principality of Monaco through Banque Sudameris SA's Monte Carlo branch.